Little Man’s First Week of Life

Okay, that last post was a little longer than I thought that it was going to be.  But, there was so much to talk about!  I promise that this one will be much shorter.  

The first week of Little Man’s life was a whirlwind.  He was born on Wednesday morning.  That afternoon, he met Teacher Man’s parents and sister and then by the evening he met my mom, one sister, and my brother.  It was so wonderful to see my family, especially my mom.  I almost melted into a pool of tears (thanks, hormones!) when I saw my family.  I was so nervous that I wasn’t going to see them until much after Little Man was here, that getting to see them right after he was born was the biggest blessing ever.  

That first night was a struggle.  Little Man was hungry all the time and I was up most of the night.  Considering that I hadn’t slept much the night before (I’d been in labor, remember?), I was pretty much a zombie.  But, I was holding my son and smelling his cute little head and I could be tired forever and it wouldn’t matter.  🙂

The next day, Teacher Man and I spent some time with just us and Little Man in the morning and then he left to go home and freshen up (really, though, I kind of felt like I was the one who needed freshening, but whatevs) and then go to school for a meeting that he couldn’t really get out of.  Little Man and I were alone together for the first time for about an hour.  I was a little worried at first (I don’t entirely know why), but it was glorious.  Just to simply be in his presence was a little bit of heaven.  

Later that afternoon, my mom and my sister brought me lunch (I think it might have been my second lunch of the day) and held Little Man while I ate.  Lunch was a salami sandwich — something I’d been craving my whole pregnancy, but had been forbidden to eat.  Delicious.

My mom and my sister left after a while to run by my house and clean (because they are amazing and basically saints) and Teacher Man came back.  The rest of the day was spent hanging out with different family members coming by the hospital, watching Little Man’s first Timbers game (which he slept through), and generally just enjoying each other.  

Earlier in the afternoon, Little Man got his first bath in the nursery and then was circumcised.  It was one of the more difficult things that I’ve ever done; we knew we wanted him circumcised and I knew that it was going to be okay, but it was still nerve-wracking to think about my poor little baby going through something like that.  So, I played Fruit Ninja.  That maybe wasn’t the most perfect of ideas considering the premise of the game, but it kept me distracted.  

I tell you this because that second night was not nearly as good as the first night.  Little Man’s Tylenol had worn off from the procedure and he was in some pain and cried a lot during the night.  We could have had the option of moving him to the nursery instead of having him room-in with us, but I didn’t want to send him away again.  So, we got him some more Tylenol and a pacifier and he settled down pretty quickly.  The only problem with the pacifier was that if he spit out the pacifier (as he did several times that night), then he would cry and we would have to get up to give it back to him.  Sigh.  

Other important things from Little Man’s first week of life include his first bath at home on Saturday (he haaaaated it), meeting some of our friends and their little babies (including L’s little girl that was born the same day that he was!), meeting my dad, and managing to stay alive for a whole week!  

My mom stayed with us for four or five days (after we got home from the hospital on Friday) and I don’t know what we would have done without her.  There were so many times during the night where Little Man would wake up and eat and then not go back to sleep or would just get up and fuss for no apparent reason.  My mom volunteered to sit up with Little Man so Teacher Man and I could get some much-needed sleep.  She cooked for us, watched Little Man so that Teacher Man and I could go out on a walk in the evenings (I needed some Vitamin D), and generally helped me feel like I wasn’t completely insane.  Little Man was a pretty easy baby (he still is), but I was REALLY emotional once my milk came in over the weekend.  Target Baby commercials made me cry.  It wasn’t all the time and I wasn’t overly depressed, just feeling emotional.  Seriously, I would have thoughts like, “I love my baby… he is so cute” and then the tears would start streaming down my face.  Not my finest moments, but it was so nice to have my mom here so that she could reassure me that I was very normal.  

Little Man also went to his first doctor’s appointment and he behaved like a champ!  Everyone thought that he was cute and he was gaining weight just like he should (for the record, he was 6lbs 15oz and 19.5in when he was born).  He peed on the exam table, but other than that it went really smoothly.  

One of my favorite moments form that week, though, was when he took him to Mass for the first time.  We went on Saturday evening — the Mass that Teacher Man and I usually go to.  Like many Saturday evening Masses, there are quite a few older people and Teacher Man and I usually sit near a group of older women — mostly widows and a few nuns.  The minute we brought Little Man into our pew, they were falling over each other (and the pews!) trying to get a look at him.  It was one of the cutest things I’ve ever seen.  Little Man was perfectly behaved during Mass and slept the whole time.  🙂

On the Monday after he was born, my dad came into town to travel back to Idaho with my mom (and, clearly, to meet Little Man).  It was so wonderful to see my dad hold his grandson for the first time.  He is just completely in love with Little Man (how could he not be?) and it was so sweet to get to see them together.  He talked to Little Man the way that he used to talk to my younger siblings when they were babies and it was just adorable.  

My mom and dad left to go back home on Tuesday and I completely lost it and bawled.  It was so wonderful, so reassuring to have my mom with us and it was incredibly hard to see her go.  I’ve found that I have so much of a deeper appreciation and understanding of her role as a mother than I ever thought that I would have.  The connection between a mother and her child goes beyond words and is a different kind of love than any other.  



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s